"I owe everything to my Savior, Jesus Christ. He has given me hope and continues to give me a future. I now know after so many trials in my life, that He does listen to me and He will answer my prayers. I no longer have to think about seeking Jesus, He is in my thoughts all day long. My heart knows my Savior’s voice. When He calls me to prayer, I obey. When I ask to sit with Him in counsel, He is always there. If it weren’t for the trials in my life I would never have developed the faith I have today. There is no longer any question, there is no longer the “Why is this happening”, there is only trust because my Father in heaven is always faithful and just."– Liz Dixon

Thursday, August 6, 2009

GI Procedure

Next Tuesday, I will be having a endoscopic procedure. The doctor will be placing a stent in my bile duct. If successful the following week I will go back in, and he will remove the stent. At that time he will correct the problem fully. If the stent does not correct the problem, the doctor will remove the stent the following week and leave everything be. We are hoping and praying that this will be our answer.

"The ERCP procedure involves passing a flexible tube (endoscope) through the mouth, esophagus, and stomach into the first part of the small intestine (the duodenum) where the drainage opening for the bile and pancreatic ducts is located.  The doctor then passes a small plastic tube (catheter) through a channel in the endoscope and out into view in the duodenum and inserts it into this small opening.  A contrast solution (dye) is then injected through the catheter into the bile and pancreatic duct system(s), and x-rays are taken. These can be viewed immediately so that the doctor can make a diagnosis.

The doctor may take specimen samples for analysis if the x-rays (and any previous tests) suggest the possibility of cancer.  Tiny wire brushes are used to scrape the duct lining and retrieve cells for microscopic examination.  Small pinching biopsy forceps can be used to take larger pieces of tissue.  Bile or pancreatic juice can be retrieved and sent to the laboratory to check whether there is any infection or to look for disturbance of the normal digestive constituents."

These are the treatments that will be used for this ERCP...

  • Papillary stenosis and sphincter dysfunction. "Sphincterotomy (of the bile duct and/or pancreatic orifice) is used also when there is scarring of the papilla (papillary stenosis) or evidence of overactivity (spasm) of the muscular valve. This is called sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. Sphincterotomy is more hazardous in this context than when used for stones.
  • Duct dilatation and stentingERCP x-rays may show partial blockage or narrowing of the bile duct or pancreatic duct. This narrowing can be stretched (dilated) using a sausage shaped balloon catheter. Often a small tube (stent) is left behind to maintain the stretch, and allows the duct to drain more easily." (www.digestivehealthnetwork.com)

No comments: